Cloud computing PCs : An overview
Here’s a brief overview of of how the new breed of client computers on the cloud are supposed to work. Google argue there’s a logic to the new breed of web-only computers, which it sees as the first computers designed for the Internet era. It does have some attractive advantages over traditional laptops and tablets.:
• Cloud computing is here to stay and many people already rely daily on Internet-based software, like Web mail programs or streaming video services. So a cloud-centric computer isn’t a crazy idea.
• Simpler operating systems means instant starts up. typically less than 15 seconds—much more quickly than most Windows machines. This is partly because it’s really just a big Web browser. Ok, many Apple products do start that fast but they are over twice the price.
• Long battery life—up to 10 hours should be available due to lower power needs.
• Because all your apps, settings and files are stored in the cloud, if you lose your device, or wish to use someone else’s, you can just log into your cloud account and all your stuff will appear on the new machine.
• Operating systems are updated automatically, so you don’t have to deal with manual updates.
• For the offline problem, most devices provide a small amount of memory to which you can save some files. You can insert a flash memory card or USB flash drive containing files.
There are issues. With no direct connection from the computer printing is a real nightmare as you need the printers to be connected to the cloud, the same goes fro any other data your need to access.
The best programs are still designed for Windows and the Mac, and we still live in a world without ubiquitous, speedy, low-cost, unlimited wireless connectivity. So typical laptop users are better off with computers designed for the current hybrid world, where both offline and online functions are needed.
However, the low-cost and increasing pervasive nature of the Internet suggests it’s likely to be around for a while and with that very attractive low-cost it will win friends as a second device, or for people who have simpler needs online.